The best person to consult about medical cannabis is your doctor. They understand your medical history and should be your first discussion around any cannabis therapies for your treatment.
It is important to be your own advocate as your doctor could be unfamiliar with medical cannabis and the treatment options available and may be hesitant to recommend it. Many doctors are still unfamiliar with the current research that supports medical cannabis as a treatment plan. Bring documentation, studies and any other information that you believe will support your case, it’s important to understand the facts yourself and advise your doctor why you believe this is the best treatment option for you.
As a patient you are entitled to unbiased and professional medical advice, doctors are regularly asked by patients about different treatment options and medical cannabis is no different. Some medical professionals may have a negative attitude towards medical cannabis so it’s important you are informed about medical cannabis and the benefits so you can receive your doctor's support.
Follow our guide below:
- Make a list of medicines and treatments you have tried for your symptoms
- Identify which has worked and which hasn’t
- Clearly, identify the symptoms that you believe could be managed better with medical cannabis
- Describe the symptoms in detail
- Advise how you are planning on using medical cannabis (tincture, vaporization etc.)
- If you are currently using cannabis, explain the amount you use and how often you use it
- Ask your doctor to recommend a dose and delivery method applicable for your treatment
- Arrange your prescription and a referral to a GMP certified medical cannabis supplier
Bring a secondary caregiver, family member or friend for support to make it easier if you are too nervous to bring the subject up. If your doctor is unable to assist you with access to medical cannabis, we can recommend a wide range of doctors that can assist in this area. Please contact us using the contact request form here (LINK) and we can send you our recommendations.
For the steps required to access medical cannabis in Australia please refer to our infographic: